i have always wanted a conservatory, but there isn’t room on my back and it faces east – or wherever the sun rises – so there is no sun near the back door after 11 0’clock. I decided to transform the outhouse attached to the side of the house into a garden room. That would have been too expensive though. I finally decided on a summer house at the bottom of the garden. The problem was the pond. The fish all disappeared a year or two ago, so all that was left were newts.
Hubby and oldest son helped me remove the 20-year old wadge of iris/water lily/marsh marigolds whose roots had fused together over the years, but I have far done most of the rest myself.
Two weeks after starting my project this is a picture of some of the stones – there are 2 more piles besides these – that I removed from around the pond and the rockery beside it, as well as a pile of bricks I dug out. These I have been bashing with a sledge hammer to make hardcore while I have a rest from filling in the hole.
The concrete base is being laid on Tuesday. Will post another photo when it looks a bit neater.